The Coal Miners’ Museum is located in the former headquarters of the Miller’s Creek Division of the Consolidation Coal Company at 78 Miller's Creek Road in the central section of Van Lear. The museum currently houses several collections including a collection of mining tools, a “company” doctor’s office, a local Veteran’s Hall of Fame, the Van Lear Schools’ Collection, a model of “Old” Van Lear, several original works of art, the “Old” Van Lear Post Office and more!
Icky’s 1950’s Snack Shop – located in the bottom floor of the Coal Miners’ Museum – dates back to the 1940’s. Originally run by Mr. Richard “Icky” Wetzel and relatives, the store was a favorite with the students at Van Lear High in the 1950’s. It has been preserved to reflect that golden age where the jukebox was king. It also serves as a gift shop for the Coal Miner’s Museum.
Rucker Park – Located just east of the Coal
Miner’s Museum is owned an operated by the Van Lear Historical Society.
The park features facilities for basketball, volleyball, playground
equipment, a picnic shelter and a retired C&O caboose. The park is
open to the public during daylight hours.
From Paintsville, take Route 321 South. Turn left
onto KY 1107. Turn right onto
KY 302. Turn left onto Millers Creek Road. The Coal Miner's Museum is located on the left.
For more information, please call (606) 789-8540
or visit http://www.vanlearkentucky.com/